Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Legs for Literacy - 2010

We went to Moncton over the weekend to run in the Legs for Literacy event again this year.  Trevor and I both ran the 5k.  He chose 5k because he ran the MDI marathon in Bar Harbour the previous weekend; I chose the 5k because I wanted to be done in half an hour.  It's nice doing a shorter distance for a change.

Here I am somewhere along the trail.  You can just see the speed by looking at my hair blowing (I think that was the wind).  While I had a great time at the event, I do think they need to organize the start a little better.  There were a lot walkers in the 5k and so many of them started up at the front!  I spent a good 1.5km trying to weave around walkers who were the complete width of the street/trail so you couldn't pass.  At one point, I was jogging in place trying to get a chance to get through, if I'd been trying for a PR, I would have been quite annoyed.
  

Here's another picture where I'm blazing towards the finish... in 31:09...

Trevor had a really good finishing time and placed third in his age group.  I was 22/105 in my age group, which again, indicates there were a LOT of walkers.

We stayed at the host hotel this year and took advantage of the pasta dinner.  I have to say, you certainly get your money's worth from your race entry.  For $25, we had a great buffet pasta dinner at the hotel, received a long-sleeved tech shirt and a finisher's medal (for a 5k!!).  We were very lucky that the weather cooperated this year.  They've had a history of hurricane-like conditions for this event.

Next running event?  The Resolution Run on Jan 1st!

My workouts this week:
Sunday - Legs for Literacy 5k (31:09)
Monday - yoga 70:00
Tuesday - Pilates DVD 30:00

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are such an inspiration. Some day I would like to think I might be able to do that. Lucy