Friday, October 29, 2010

Cupcakes!!

I volunteered to bake cupcakes for Cameron's Halloween party at school today.  I didn't want to just make ordinary cupcakes though, I wanted to make them a bit special, somehow.  So, I decided to make filled cupcakes.  Last week, I did a trial batch and they were a huge hit at home (and at work).  I found a recipe for a marshmallow cream filling and it is definitely a keeper.  Oh my.  These were soooo good!

Here's a pic of last week's version:


I used a mix for the cake and then filled a pastry bag with the filling and piped the marshmallow cream inside after they were cooled a bit.  Before piping, I read to make an "X" in the top of the cupcake using a butter knife to give some room for the filling.  It's definitely better to do your filling on the same day that you bake the cupcakes.  This week, I made the cupcakes the night before and it was a bit more difficult to fill them.  Fortunately the frosting hides any errors.
  
Marshmallow Cream Filling   
2 tsp very hot water
1/4 tsp salt
1 (7 oz) jar marshmallow cream
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

1) Dissolve the salt in the hot water.
2) Whip the remaining ingredients until fluffy.  Add salt water and whip.

This week's version of the filled cupcakes (I didn't dare send all that chocolate to school!):

I used a candy mold for the pumpkins and added little bat cupcake picks.  You can't see the cupcake liners, but they're pumpkins too.

For some reason, the orange hair spray isn't showing up but you can get a glimpse of my artwork for the day below:


Yesterday, I had the pleasure of attending the opening session for the Atlantic Dream Festival.  Clara Hughes was so inspiring!!  I really enjoyed listening to her speak of a few of her Olympic experiences and could have happily listened to her speak for much longer.  The other guest speakers were interesting too: Kevin O'Leary, Frank McKenna and Sir Richard Branson.  Although, I was disappointed that McKenna and Branson did not really give a presentation, rather they used an interview format with McKenna asking Branson questions.  Regardless, it was a nice way to spend a work day!

{Edited to add link to an article about yesterday's session.}

My workouts this week (cont.)
Wednesday - Run (5 minute warmup, 30 minute easy run, 5 minute cooldown)
Thursday - Pilates DVD 30 minutes

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to go home and bake. Oh My Goodness - they are absolutely delightful. Lucky classmates. Your son must be a popular little boy today!

Christine S said...

Mmm, those look delish! Do you think they would work if you put half the batter in, added the marshmallow, put the other half of the batter in and then baked them?

Faith Ann said...

Christine, I don't think that would work for this particular type of filling. It's very "frosting-like", so I think it might melt in the oven? or just sink into the cupcake? That's my guess, anyway.

I read about two different methods for using this type of filling:
- pipe it into a cooled cupcake
- cut the top off a cupcake and spoon in filling, replace top

It is definitely easy to pipe it into the baked cupcakes... very fast. The first time I did it, the cupcakes hadn't cooled completely, so they were much more pliable and accepted more filling.

Christine S said...

Kewl, thanks for the tip!

Lori said...

Gorgeous looking treats!! Wowsers!

That face is even cuter (if possible) with that paint, LOL.