Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Challenge is On!

For Christmas, my mom bought us something that I have wanted forever.  A full-size, upright freezer.  Love at first sight does exist.  We sold our tiny 15-year old apartment-size freezer and brought in the monster.  Best addition to meal-planning and sales-stocking-up ever.  However, somehow, just a few months later (it was an early gift) that freezer is full!!  We have quite the stockpile of meat, snacks, fruit, baked goods, etc, to last forever in there!  I don't want anything to get freezer burned and I want to take advantage of the money we saved by buying things on sale, so my challenge for the next two weeks is:

AVOID THE GROCERY STORE

Allowable exceptions to this rule are the following staples that I cannot stock in advance:
- eggs
- milk
- bananas
- mushrooms, bell peppers
- Cameron's lunchbox items (yogurt, snacks, etc)
- baking ingredient if I run out of anything necessary

So any recipes that I choose must use ingredients that already exist in my pantry, fridge, freezer!

Cooking planned for tomorrow will involve some chicken that I cooked in the slow-cooker to be used as an ingredient for multiple dishes.  I made a list of a few ingredients that I have on hand and want to use, so that will guide my recipe selection this evening.  With the abundance of leftovers we had, I also made one too many casseroles last weekend, so one stayed in the freezer and will be saved for a busy week.

Slow-Cooker Chicken
1/2 cup soya sauce
1/2 cup honey
4-5 chicken breasts

This makes the most flavourful chicken for soups, wraps, salads, stir-fries, etc.  If you use thawed/fresh chicken, it doesn't take very long to cook in your slow-cooker.  Mix the sauce in the slow-cooker, toss in the chicken (turning pieces to coat with sauce) and cook on high for about 3 hours.  Then there is a lot of chicken cooked and ready for a few meals.  I tend to portion it in freezer bags and throw some back in the freezer for meals later in the week.

Portobello Mushroom Burgers (again)
We needed a quick lunch before Cameron's swimming class today, so I made Portobello mushroom burgers again.  They're so yummy!  I took pics this time, but followed the same recipe as last time (scroll through the link, it's near the bottom).



Running News!
I gave my new Gel Nimbus a trial on the treadmill this week.  They passed!  These are definitely my favourite running shoe, I have absolutely no desire to try another brand/model.  I hope to buy another pair when we go to San Diego this summer.  I've done a little research and it appears they have a Runner's Den there.  They're almost double the price here in Canada, so I tend to buy them when we go away.

In other running news, I have booked our hotel in Portland (Maine, not Oregon) for the weekend of the Maine Marathon.  I hope/plan/intend to run the half distance.  Depending on Trevor's ever-changing mind, he will either run the half as a training run for a later fall marathon or run the full marathon in Portland.  The weather is so random on the east coast in October.  It could be a gorgeous day or the middle of a hurricane. 

I still haven't signed up for my spring half marathon, but my self-imposed deadline to bite the bullet is getting close!  I am being so careful to keep a good mix of cross-training in my plan along with regular foam-rolling so that I don't suffer from some of the aches and pains that plagued me last year.

Must go get ready to go out for dinner with the family!

3 comments:

Terri said...

Good luck with your 'grocery' challenge :)

What are you coming to San Diego for? Let me know when you'll be here. I'd love to meet up with you if possible.

Jill in CA said...

I love reading about your cooking; we aren't "there" yet with our planning ahead, but we're trying!

It looks like we'll be getting Legoland passes next month, so if you plan to go there when you're here in the summer we would love to meet up with you. Let me know!

Nej said...

Have you ever tried freezing milk? I keep hearing people talking about buying it on sale and freezing it...but I've never tried it myself.

Congrats on finding "THE" shoes!!!