Monday, February 14, 2011

Another week already? or Happy Valentine's Day!

I made some heart shaped rice krispie treats and brownies for my two favourite Valentines and that was the extent of my ambition!  We went out for an early V-day dinner over the weekend and kept tonight simple.  With a school-night bedtime and homework, it's too difficult to do otherwise.  Cameron enjoyed his little lego kit and I'll stick with the chocolates, thank you very much. 

Last week in Ottawa was busy!  I was lucky that a coworker was there for the week, so that made evening dinners and the morning hike from hotel to office more enjoyable.  I didn't have to spend a lot of time on work in the evenings, but the days were so exhausting that I found myself going to bed early to get geared up for the next day.  I was so glad to get home on Thursday night.  My flight even got in 20 minutes early!!

A glimpse into my trip... comfy room...

My little "office" in the corner where I got to spend one afternoon working while everyone else attended off-site meetings...

I managed to visit the fitness center every day (good thing, based on what I ate last week) and there were lots of calls home.  Cameron and Trevor survived the week and I didn't get the impression that Cam was homesick for me until Wednesday.  By then, he'd had enough and was anxious for the week to be over (or perhaps he just wanted the "treat" that he knew I had bought him).

On Wednesday, I decided to treat myself to an over-priced manicure and pedicure in the hotel spa.  I felt that I deserved a reward by that point in the week!  I believe that the last time I had a manicure was on my wedding day and I probably won't spend that much money on another one for a LONG time:

  
In addition to my boys, I definitely missed my kitchen last week!  It was so nice to make some salads and cook some healthy meals after indulging a little too much in the hotel restaurant.  Other than baking a batch of bread, I didn't spend a lot of time getting food ready for the week since we already have a lot in our freezer.  Therefore, no pictures of kitchen chaos or new recipes.

100-Day Challenge
Done.  I need rest days.  It's not realistic to force exercise on days when the body needs rest, even if it is only for 20 minutes on those days.  The "100" day challenge lasted 44 days and contained 2 rest days.  Moving forward, since my half marathon training begins in earnest this week, I need my legs to feel more rested for weekend long runs and better quality weekday runs.  Yesterday's run was 5 miles and felt great... but that is a short run compared to what lies ahead.

So that's that!

2 comments:

Nej said...

That's a great polish color!!! :-) I'd never been much of a manicure/pedicure gal until a close friend of mine got pregnant. She couldn't reach her feet, so I bought her a pedicure. Now we try to go every once and a while as a treat.

My half training started this week as well. 5 miles last weekend for my "long run"....3 mile runs during the week. I started looking at my full marathon training that will start this summer, and I just can't wrap my head around running 16, 17, 20 mile training runs. What have I gotten myself into? :-) :-)

I agree with the rest day thing. It's the most important part of training!

Karin said...

Sounds like you're making great progress with your training. I love the nailpolish colour.