Monday, February 28, 2011

Week 2 and Snow Day!!

Hmmmm, last week I missed one workout and this week I missed two.  Not a good start for my official training plan!  I think week 3 will be the turning point.  Last week was just a very tiring week, one workout was missed due to work and another was missed due to a trip to Costco.  Necessities and/or priorities depending on how you look at it!  I did my long run on the treadmill yesterday (6 miles), so that's the main thing.

Today is supposed to be a rest day, however, since I worked from home due to a snow day (and I'm a big chicken who hates driving on snowy/icy roads), I gained an hour by not driving to/from work/school/babysitter so it seemed like a good day for some cardio.  Cam is at a good age for me to work from home when he's off school.  He can easily occupy himself for long periods of time by reading, playing with lego or watching the family channel.  He's content as long as we're in the same room and I can pretty much take my laptop and work from any room in the house.

Snow Day Pics!!

Children are so much like puppies, here's Cameron taking his first steps in the snow this afternoon after I was done work (click on any pic to enlarge it):


 A glimpse at our side yard.  The lump towards the centre of the picture is Cam's wooden truck that normally is about my height:



Cam was determined to clear the snow from the roof.  He worked at it for quite some time and then got sick of picking at the ice (see how close to the roof he is when standing on the snow that surrounds the truck!):

 A view of the front yard:


I wish I could be this happy about snow!






New recipe - Smores Muffins
Cameron requested muffins last night, and since I had a stew simmering in the slow cooker and didn't have to cook supper, I figured I might as well fulfill his request.  I tried a recipe for Smores muffins that I've never tried before and they were quite tasty.  They're very good when still warm from the oven but they were still tasty today.

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/3 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup mini marshmallows
1/4 cup chocolate chips
Topping:
1/4 cup chocolate chips
36 mini marshmallows
  1. Mix first 4 ingredients in bowl (I did not use my mixer for this recipe)
  2. Add next 4 ingredients, mix until combined
  3. Stir in marshmallows and chocolate chips
  4. Pour in 12 muffin tins lined with paper muffin liners
  5. Top each muffin with chocolate chips and 3 marshmallows
  6. Bake at 375* for 18-20 minutes.  Cool in pan for 5 minutes and then on cooling rack.

New recipe - salmon quinoa salad
4 small pieces salmon
sauce/marinade of your choice for the salmon (I used honey garlic one night and honey with soya sauce another)
asparagus, cut in 1 inch pieces
broccoli, cut in stir-fry size pieces
quinoa
1/3 cup dried cranberries
  1. Cook the salmon and flavour with marinade.  Prepare quinoa according to package and add 1/3 cup dried cranberries while it's cooking.  
  2. When the salmon is almost done, flake it into bite-size pieces and toss in asparagus and broccoli so vegetables will have just enough cooking time to be crisp tender.
  3. Serve the salmon-veggie stir-fry over the quinoa.  We ate it warm on the first night and cold for our lunches the next day.  It was soooo good when it was cold!
Birthday Pics
Since I'm behind with updates, here are a few pics from Cam's birthday last weekend...

A playdate with his best friend started the weekend of birthday festivities:

  Excited to begin opening presents!  (Ignore the crappy floor, this is actually our workout room.)

The after math of present time... a LOT of Lego!  (Only the small kits assembled here, collectively we spent hours assembling Lego kits last weekend):


A glimpse of the Lego cake disaster.  At least Cam was happy, but I sure wasn't!  Why are the simplest sounding cakes always the hardest to execute?  We had some of my family members over for pizza, garlic fingers and some other finger foods:
 

 Getting ready to blow out the candles (I have an aversion to kid-spit on cake, so I always cut a piece and stuff the candles on a single piece of cake):
 
 A cake for Trevor's office (to redeem my decorating skills after the lego cake fiasco):

Now, I believe I am caught up with picture and recipe updates!

4 comments:

Christine S said...

Lots of snow out your way, too! Yay for a snow day; I can't work from home and sure wish I could some days.

Thanks for the Salmon Quinoa Salad recipe! We're just starting to use quinoa so I'm always looking for recipes. As an aside, there's an awesome one in this month's Canadian Living magazine.

Nej said...

I LOVE the snow!!!! I'd be out there smiling right along with him. :-)

Smores Muffins...I'm going to have to give those a shot. They sound marvelous!!!!!!

Dani - tkdchick said...

I'm definately missing my workouts and hope to get to the gym tonight, its annoying how life just gets in the way of the fantastic plans we make for ourselves. Great snow day pics!

Joggin' Momma said...

Love Cameron's "action shots" outside, funny! Poor Lego cake, it was probably still delish though and to the untrained eye (translation: the eye of the person that did not make the cake) I think it still looks pretty darn good!!