Sunday, February 06, 2011

Same ole routine

Since our Priceline debacle...
Nothing out of the ordinary has happened this week!  School/work/homework/meals/workout/sleep/snow.

Saturday was a gorgeous day.  I baked more herb-cheese bread in the morning.  After Cameron's swimming lesson, he and I played outside in the snow for well over an hour.  Trevor also did his long run taking advantage of the nice weather, to avoid having to run 12 miles on the treadmill during the storm today.

I baked gingerbread-cranberry scones this morning (no pic, they look like scones) and have a huge pot of chili simmering in the slow-cooker.  It's going to be a relaxing day.  I just wish the snow would ease up so that my plans for late-day are not affected!


Grocery Store Challenge Update
I think my grocery store challenge was not ambitious enough.  We need to eat from our freezer/pantry for much longer than 2 weeks if I want to make a dent!  I think I'm going to try to skip groceries (except for required fresh foods/staples) until March (or longer).  If I walk in a grocery store to buy one item, I immediately spend $50.  I cannot walk out with one item.  However, if I stop at a convenience store to pick up my milk/eggs (for the same price as the grocery store), then I only buy the items I went in for.  That worked this week since we only needed milk.

I don't have to do any meal prep this week (or next).  I overcooked the last two weeks, so there are plenty of unbaked, pre-made meals in the freezer.  Sweet.

Updated Photo - Baked Ziti

Since most of my "cook ahead" meals look exactly the same when they are sitting in their baking dishes waiting to be cooked, I thought I'd share an updated photo of the baked ziti.  It looks much more appetizing after it has been heated in the oven. 


I also decided to try my hand at duplicating Red Lobster cheddar biscuits and I think I found success!  I used my regular biscuit recipe (not a mix as most copycat recipes suggest) and added marble cheddar and garlic and herb spices to the dough.  Rather than rolling out the biscuits, I made "drop" biscuits.  While they were baking, I made a garlic-salt-butter and put a little on top of each biscuit after they were baked.  Then I put the pan back in the oven for another minute.  Melt-in-your mouth, light, fluffy goodness.

Words of Wisdom
I kid you not when I say that my Dove chocolate wrapper said "Laundry can wait until tomorrow."

Agreed, Dove.

3 comments:

Karin said...

That looks so good!

Scrappytbear said...

yummy :) The beans I did last week? burnt them. edible but we didnt save much for leftovers...if i'd gotten home when i thought, things might have been ok :(

Nej said...

Hear Hear Dove!!!