- Stressed at work, rather busy, etc etc (which means I'm pretty well stressed 24/7)
- Missed some training, demotivated by weather/winter/treadmill, suffering from ITB issues
- Regular baking/cooking activities, nothing new there
- Cam's on his March break from school and is enjoying a week at home with my mom
So, after much soul-searching, I've decided that I'm not going to run a half-marathon this spring. While I'm quite disappointed with that decision, I think it's the right one, otherwise running will just become another stress inducer (which I do not need at the moment). So it looks like two spring 10k's for me this year! As discouraging as that is, I think it's a realistic decision. At least when I start training for my fall half marathon, I can run outside.
One good thing that I hope will come out of scaling back to the 10k, is that it gives me the next 8 weeks to work on running a stronger 10k. I'm hoping this will lead to a better base for beginning my half marathon training this summer. I've recently been feeling that I've been adding miles each week but not really improving at all (other than chugging on the treadmill for a longer period of time). I'd like to see actual improvement in my running and perhaps get back to where I was two years ago.
Other things that are sucking my time away from me right now?
- Angry Birds (Cam and I both love this game)
- Reading articles about iPad 2 and Kindle 3
- Phineas & Ferb marathons with Cam
5 comments:
If I hadn't already paid for my half this spring, I'd be in the same boat as you. I've come to the decision this week that I'm going to participate...if I have to walk more than I normally would, so be it. I'll go to finish, have a good time, and enjoy myself. No time goals, just a good time. :-) :-)
Angry birds...I finally had to take it off of my phone so I could get stuff done. (giggle)
I see nothing wrong with walking/walk breaks! I definitely would be using that approach if I had decided to stick with the half.
*Love* Angry Birds... it's pretty sad lol. Cam and I have different "worlds" that we're working through and I am not allowed to go near whatever level he is working on.
Two 10K's is still a HUGE accomplishment Faith Ann! Here's the thing, I used to think of 10K's as just a short distance, nothing to be so proud of, and falling short of the "real" challenges like the half or full. NOW, being post-baby, 23 pounds overweight and completely out of shape, with 4K being my "long" distance I look at 10K's and think, "OMG, will I EVER be able to run that distance again?". I would give anything to be back at my 10K abilities. GOOD FOR YOU! You rock! Hope Cam enjoys March Break!
Janine, I am certain you will be running 10k's again!! (and further if you choose!!) The first year with a new baby is such a busy one and getting through a Canadian winter is tough for all runners, I think.
If you dont run a half it is what it is. You know your body. I have found that in conversations with people, many don't train and then feel like they should not walk, that they MUST run them.
When you have kids it changes things as does that whole working thing. :)
Post a Comment