I decided that I should use this weekend to prepare for a few busy weeks ahead. If I'm not spending every available moment in the kitchen each night, I feel more able to cope with everything we have going on. So this morning, I prepared a few things to have on hand for the next three weeks:
. Mini cheddar loaves
. Meatballs (for sweet 'n sour meatballs and pasta)
. Taco meat for tacos and shepherd's pie
. 4 lbs of Shredded chicken breast for stir-fries, soup, wraps, casseroles
. Squash-carrot-apple soup
I made a spinach ravioli lasagna for tomorrow night's supper. It's stuffed full of mushrooms, broccoli and peppers. I'll probably freeze some of the leftovers for upcoming lunches.
I expect we will have a few breakfast-for-dinner meals since those are fast to prepare and we all enjoy them. I find that meals are easy to get ready if the main component is done and I just have to make salads or cook some veggies to go with them.
I also pressed, marinated and baked some tofu for a variety of dishes. However, I don't think I like the marinade I chose and am not sure I'll be able to use it :(. It might be okay in soup.
Additionally, I stocked up on a few convenience items to make life easier:
. Frozen haddock filets (plain, I'll bread them and pan fry or I'll bake with salsa and peppers to serve on rice)
. Plain cheese pizzas that I'll add toppings
. Broccoli cheese puffs to use as an occasional side
. Veggie spring rolls, for a side
. Texas style garlic toast to grill as a side for pasta/soup nights
. French onion soup
Still on the agenda for today? Bake some more kale chips, get my run in, tidy and read! I wouldn't mind getting to the craft fair downtown either, but I'm not sure that will happen. Cameron also has requested a few board games that he wants to play this afternoon.
Guess it's time to make lunch! I have some sub rolls, so I think we will have pizza subs.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
2 comments:
Sounds like a productive weekend! For the shredded chicken, do you just freeze it and then thaw in the microwave when you want to use it? Does it affect the taste/texture? I never thought of preparing taco beef ahead of time!
I cook the chicken in the slow-cooker all day, so it almost falls apart when I shred it. Then I let it cool in the fridge before putting it in freezer bags.
Depending on the use, I don't bother thawing it and just toss it in the soup or stir-fry. Other times, I'll thaw it in the microwave first.
The texture is definitely normal after thawing. I'm guessing the taste is normal, but I tend to use it in heavily flavoured dishes so I'm probably tasting other sauces or spices more than the chicken!
Post a Comment