Saturday, October 01, 2011

Swamped!

Fall and back to school are such busy times of the year! This year, Cameron has joined a local Cub group and that makes Tuesday evenings in our house very hectic. Cam has also joined two choirs (mixed and boys choirs) at his school. I expect that will lead to some running around town eventually.

At least homework in the third grade has decreased substantially. We've gone from 45-60 minutes a night in grade 2 to about 15-20 minutes a night in grade 3. I'll take it! They're in school for an extra 70 minutes a day this year, so less homework makes sense.

All that aside, it's also a busy time of year for running. Trevor's marathon in Bar Harbour is right around the corner and we just finished the Fall Classic 5k/10k in our home city. I ran the 5k with a friend who was doing her first 5k. I think it's so exciting for someone to cross that finish line for the first time and prove to themselves they can do it. It makes me so happy for them.

Trevor probably won't have the marathon that he had hoped for this year. He has some sort of infection that he's currently using two puffers to get under control. As soon as he starts to run, he has a horrendous cough. Not something you want to experience after several months of training.

I don't know what it is about fall, but each year as soon as it hits, I tend to start stocking my freezer again and cooking things in larger batches to freeze. It's nice to be able to pull something out of the freezer to thaw for lunches or dinners on busy nights.

We've already done our apple picking this fall and I have a huge slow cooker filled with apples right now, soon our house is going to smell very good as the applesauce cooks. I love applesauce made in the slow cooker!

I'm also going to make a couple of pans of ravioli-lasagna and squash-carrot soup this weekend. I have several bags of homemade spaghetti sauce in the freezer too, that's helpful for quick weeknight meals.

Now I must return to a laundry and cleaning filled day. I need to upload a few pics from our recent trip to Chicago. What a fun weekend!

Wish we were back here... Still on summer vacation!!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: