Sunday, May 08, 2011

Fredericton Marathon - 5k Edition (Happy Mother's Day!)

We've had a pretty good weekend.  Yesterday morning, we did our mother's day breakfast at Cora's since this morning would be too busy.  Waffles covered with strawberries and English cream?  Yum!  Cameron gave me my mother's day artwork gift from school last night.  How can I describe it, other than beautiful!

Race Expo
Cameron attended his best friend's birthday party yesterday afternoon, so Trevor and I took advantage of having 3 hours for getting various errands done that Cameron would not have the patience for.  This included spending an hour at the race expo to pick up our t-shirts and bibs for today's run.  I bought a pair of Asics Gel Cumulus.  We'll see if they live up to my beloved Gel Nimbus. 

The expo took an hour because of the lineup for the half marathon, not because of the "expo".  There were the normal two stores that always attend the expo and a few booths advertising other races.  That's it!  As for the goodie bags?  They were the usual too.  No bag, no freebies, no coupons, just a shirt.  Race kits are so much more fun in other cities!  Oh well.  I did get a lovely mother's day cookie while standing in line.

Race
After 3 weeks of "intense" training (having not run for almost 8 weeks and not running outside since January 1), I muddled my way through a 5k this morning.  My strategy was simple.  Run and not throw up or fall down.  I succeeded!  I didn't take any walk breaks and finished in 31:37.  Definitely not my fastest (I'm typically happy with anything under 30 minutes), but I'm still happy with today's run considering my recent running hiatus.  I was 8th (out of 24th) in my age group.

I am pretty sure I will use walk breaks for my 10k in a couple of weeks.  Today's course was flat with perfect weather.  The course in Halifax is not flat. I'll need to reserve some energy for the hills.  So far, my longest training run has been 5 miles.  So I've got two weeks to get myself ready for 6.1.  We'll see how that goes,  I'm not sure I even have a goal time for that event.

After finishing my run, we waited around to see Trevor finish his half marathon.  He beat his goal time by almost two minutes finishing in just over 1:43!!  There was no way that Cameron would leave his post at the end of the finisher's chute before cheering on his teacher to her first half-marathon finish.  We may not have had much in our race kit, but they did have a lot of food at the finish line.  There was tons of pizza, chips, fruit, etc.  It was great!  (Especially since I just had a piece of toast with PB before the race.)  The weather was so nice, we decided to stick around and cheer on some of the full marathon finishers.  What a perfect morning!

3 comments:

Joggin' Momma said...

Way to go Faith Ann! Good time too, I'd give anything for a sub-35 5K these days, haha! Glad you enjoyed!

Faith Ann said...

I was pretty pleased to come under 35 minutes yesterday too... I really wasn't sure that I would considering I haven't been running outside.

Nej said...

I know what you mean about the difference in race packets, and expos. It's always an adventure going to them, so see what they do and don't have. I was spoiled at my first half in Des Moines, IA. They had TONS of booths, TONS of freebies, and a HUGE race kit full of fun stuff. :-)

Hooray for not falling down or throwing up!!!!! (hehehehe)