Sunday, May 15, 2011

Rain, rain, GO AWAY!

Running...
What is up with our weather this spring?! (a) we had snow and cold *forever*, (b) now the sun has disappeared for days and doesn't appear to be coming back!

I planned on running outside this weekend in prep for my 10k next weekend. Forget that. I am made of sugar and I will melt. Intermittent showers are fine but I do not like running in the rain. For one thing, since I have trouble wearing my contacts I cannot see when it's raining because the rain covers my glasses. Not fun. I also hate it when my feet get wet.

So I ended up running three miles on the treadmill yesterday and six miles today. I always run with a 1% incline and actually don't find a huge difference when I switch to outdoor running, so I don't care that much.

Cooking...
I finally made risotto!! It was a real risotto with arborio rice and required standing at the stove for 40 minutes to continually add hot broth and stir. I used a combination of a Pioneer woman's recipe with another that I found in a vegetarian cookbook. I wish I'd had mushrooms for my add-in veggies but I made do with onions, carrots and celery. It wasn't bad, but mushrooms would have made it way better.

Sorry, no pics. I've grown weary of taking pictures of food (and I still haven't bothered figuring out how to include pics in blog entries from the iPad). I'll have to figure it out soon, I have found quite a few baking recipes to try and they will hopefully be picture worthy!

Life...
Cameron starts golf lessons this week! I'm quite excited about it. I really hope he enjoys it. I remember golfing with my parents as a kid and it's something I hoped we would do with Cameron when he was old enough.

We celebrated our wedding anniversary and Trevor's birthday last week. If you throw in mother's day, that is a LOT of celebration meals in one week lol. We combined them into two: Chinese takeout for mother's day and pseudo italian for the anniversary/b-day.

Reading...
I always planned on having a mini book section in my blog since reading takes up a considerable amount of my free time. If my workout is done, I often go to bed shortly after Cam and read for the rest of the evening.

Anyway, I am currently reading The Help. I'd say I am almost 75% of the way through the book and I've enjoyed it thus far. It's hard to imagine a society so segregated and that people really felt / believed those things so recently. I often avoid reading books that I know will tug at my emotions too much. I tend to get too involved with what I'm reading and I really hate crying my way through books.

I'm also reading a couple of light mysteries, a book of essays by Sloane Crosley and The City of Ember. Cam and I plan to read the sequel to City of Ember this summer and since he's reading the first book at school, I need to get caught up. I seem to always have at least three books on the go at the same time but lately it's not unusual for me to have five.

Time to get back to my rainy weekend... Cam and I have decided we should have a movie afternoon and he has selected one of his favourite movies, Shorts.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Lori said...

I second that... rain go away. Also agree that rain running isn't for me. Also hate we feet and glasses and when big chested, that's the first part to get soaked and cold (I'm NOT an exhibitionist, lol so I avoid rain).

Christine S said...

Please feel free to send the rain to my part of the country! After a wet start to the spring (from the 200ft of melting snow), it is really dry here and we could really use it!

Nej said...

I ran in the pouring rain on Sunday morning. Last spring I kept wanting to run in the rain, but for some reason, it was never raining on the mornings of my runs (at least, not at 5 am). I'm sure the novelty of it would wear off after a while. :-) :-)