Monday, December 13, 2010

Easy peasy...


I'm always amazed at the reaction this simple little recipe invokes.  Then I get incredibly embarrassed by how simple it is when people ask for the recipe.  It's nothing more than a "bunch" of mixes but everyone seems to love it.  I try to choose complimentary favours and everything that I've tossed in so far has seemed to work.  Sometimes I bake it in a 9x13 pan and other times (like at Christmas) I use a shaped cake pan and add a few icing accents.  A sprinkling of powdered sugar also looks quite nice.

Ingredients:
cake mix
instant pudding mix (I use fat free)
2 cups milk (I use skim)
2 cups chocolate chips (only one cup if using cinnamon chips)
  1. Preheat oven to 350.  Spray baking pan with non-stick spray (I really like to use baking spray)
  2. Whisk the milk and pudding until the pudding begins to set.  
  3. Stir in the dry cake mix.  
  4. Stir in the chips.  The batter will be quite thick.  
  5. Spread in your chosen pan.  Bake for 30-35 minutes (check the same way you'd test a brownie or cake).
  6. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.  If using a shaped pan, remove from pan and cool completely on a cooking rack.
Here a few combinations that I have tried (I have made this dessert a LOT):

(Cake flavour / Pudding flavour / Chip flavour)
  1. chocolate / chocolate / chocolate (how could this ever be wrong? this combo is very brownie-like)
  2. chocolate / chocolate / white chocolate
  3. chocolate / chocolate / peanut butter
  4. chocolate / chocolate / mint chocolate
  5. butter pecan / butterscotch / butterscotch
  6. butter pecan / white chocolate / cinnamon
  7. spice / butterscotch / cinnamon
  8. spice / pumpkin / cinnamon
  9. spice / butterscotch / butterscotch
Do you get the idea?  Almost anything goes with this dessert!  Some combinations produce a lighter, snack-cake like consistency while others are more dense.  I tend to stick with Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines cake mixes and I've always had good results.

My gingerbread man pictured above was made with a spice cake mix, white chocolate pudding mix and cinnamon chips.  I used some of my buttercream icing from our cookie decorating to pipe a few details.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Cool! Thanks for this share... We love cake and the troops have been asking. :o)