Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Mish Mash of Updates

This post will be a little random.  You've been warned!

Dining by Candle-light
If you have a fussy eater, candle lit dinners are awesome!!  Cameron has wanted to eat by candle-light on a couple of occasions since putting our Christmas candles on the table.  It has allowed me to put a couple of things on his plate that he wouldn't otherwise try due to appearance: (a) meatloaf, (b) chicken in a teriyaki-ginger sauce.  I'll take small victories wherever I can get them.

His class went on a school field trip to Kingslanding Historical Settlement today.  They got to see what Christmas was like in the "old days".  He was very excited to tell me that he likes old-fashioned food because they got to try taffy, doughnuts and hot cocoa while they were there and he thought they were all fantastic.

Veggie Boxes
We've been continuing through our veggie box and I think everything will be gone very soon.  This first box has been fun!  I've learned that kale can burn in the oven *very* quickly, so making kale chips is a process that requires attention.  I've also learned that I do not like braised spring greens.  Yuck.  We still have a lot of spring greens left and there are only so many salads I can handle!  I prefer spinach-based salads, so I've been mixing spinach with the spring greens.

Holiday Prep
I finally located the Christmas lights so I finished putting the lights on our deck!  Cameron and I also put up the two small trees tonight (the "tacky" tree in Trevor's office and the "Seattle" tree in the granny suite).  For anyone who doesn't know me very well, I should preface my discussion of decorations with the following: when it comes to Christmas, I firmly believe that "more is more".  "Less is more" applies to makeup and housework.

I also believe that parents lose their right to elegant, tasteful decorations while their children are young.  I have several totes of decorations that stay in my basement each year and will do so until Cameron is much older.  For now, I want my house filled with bright colours, shiny objects, smiling teddy bears and cute little decorative things that play the same tinned Christmas song over and over (until you want to throw that Snoopy playing piano through your front window).

I won't have many pics to share until after the weekend.  I planned on sharing a couple of pictures of our work-in-progress but blogger is not cooperating.

Fitness
The November 30-day challenge is still going strong!  I missed one day last week due to my cold but that has been my only miss.  Only 7 workouts to go until December!!  Keep in mind, I'm not doing huge workouts each day.  My goal is just to get some kind of exercise every single day and it typically ranges from 30-60 minutes.


Weekly Workouts
Monday - Pilates DVD 30:00
Tuesday - Pilates DVD 30:00

2 comments:

T said...

I'm surprised to say, our veggies are almost gone too! We have greens, leeks, garlic, 1 apple, and frozen berries left. We finished everything else off last night. We have to compost our remaining few brussel sprouts because they were super soft when I went to wash them last night. I'll know for next time to use them up quicker! Now I just want to work on eating up our greens before they go bad and figure out a leek recipe.

I'm thinking we probably should have gotten a full box for ourselves instead of splitting it with my parents, but I guess I can get some extra veggies at the grocery store to keep us going until next week.

Nej said...

We rarely have any holiday decorations up. Every year I think we'll do it, then things "come up" and we never get around to it. :-)