Monday, November 08, 2010

Winter Veggies!

I've seen a number of blogs reference farm coops and signing up for regular fruit and veggie boxes.  I've been envious that I haven't seen anything like that around here.  I buy a lot of our vegetables at the farmer's market throughout the summer, but I resort to the grocery store for winter and we end up eating a lot of frozen veggies or produce that has been transported a long distance.

Well, today one of my facebook friends indicated that she had signed up for a winter veggie/fruit box program and I was immediately interested.  I called and there were still spots available, so next week I get to pick up our very first box of organic veggies and fruits grown on a farm about an hour from here.  They come to my city every 2 weeks to deliver these boxes. 

From looking at box contents from previous winters, it looks like you get a lot of root vegetables, fresh herbs (they have a huge green house) and generally a nice assortment of produce.

I'm soooooo excited about this! (How sad is that?)
  • it has the potential to save us money on winter produce
  • it should keep the weekly meal plan interesting with a few veggies that I might not ordinarily buy
  • fresh herbs!!
  • save time in the grocery store
  • supports a "local" NB farm
Expect pictures of box 1 to appear next week!

1 comment:

Claire said...

It will be great for all your recipes.
claire-stitchart.blogspot.com