Thursday, November 18, 2010

Veggies! Veggies! More Veggies!

Today is the day!!  It's the first day of the winter veggie/fruit boxes!!  I can't wait to figure out how to use these over the next few days.  I'm excited to try a couple of new-to-me veggies. I find that I get stuck in a rut and plan some of the same meals over and over, so I think this will help spark some life into the old meal plan.  Here's what was in our boxes this week:

Vegetables
  • Fresh Salad Greens
  • Spectrum Greens Mix mixed with Arugula
  • Potatoes
  • Carrots
  • Kale <-- I've never had kale before!
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Beets
  • Buttercup Squash
  • Leeks
  • Celeriac <-- I've never had this before either, apparently similar to celery but must be cooked
  • Onions
  • Garlic

    Fruit Supplement
    • Apples: Honey Crisp and other types
    • Frozen Rhubarb and Berries

      I am so excited about the rhubarb!!!  I foresee a rhubarb-berry crisp in the near future!

      I also took advantage of the "farm kitchen" program and ordered some additional items, there was so much to choose from!
      • 2 lbs lean ground beef (grain fed)
      • maple breakfast sausage
      • 2 chicken pot pies
      • homemade honey-oat granola
      • peck of apples
      • loaf of honey-oat bread
      • loaf of multigrain bread

        Between the veggie/fruit box, the additional items from the farm kitchen and what I already have on hand, I don't need to buy groceries this week or next!  Not bad for about $85.  Although, I did stop at the convenience store to stock up on milk.  We shouldn't need anything else though.

        I can't wait to try some of this:


        Weekly Workouts
        Tuesday - Pilates DVD 27:00
        Wednesday - REST!  (The cough was horrific yesterday... the rest was definitely needed.)
        Thursday - Bike, easy, manual setting level 4, 40:00

        I was at home sick again today, but as the day progressed, I felt remarkably better.  The cough even managed to ease up today (I hope it's better tonight, nighttime is the worst).  Based on how I feel now, I'm sure I'll be able to head back to the office tomorrow.  My biggest concern now is being well enough for my Pilates class on Saturday morning (don't want to sound like a barking seal in class!).

        Now I must head off to help with homework.  Tomorrow is Cameron's last day as "star student" and he's disappointed the week is ending!  

        6 comments:

        Anonymous said...

        That assortment looks wonderful. A great way to try new veggies and also support a local farmer. Way to go girl. Can't wait to see what new recipes you will be trying. Lucy

        Nej said...

        That's quite the pile of loot!!!! :-)

        Everyone around here has this cough that just won't go away. Hope you're feeling all better, really soon!!!

        T said...

        I'm trying the Jolly Farmer winter box-a-week program as well. I cooked up the celeriac last night. I cut it up and boiled it with my potatoes and mashed them up together. It turned out really yummy! It gave the potatoes a faint celery taste to them. I also threw in some of their garlic, and some sea salt, white navy beans, and almond milk into my mashed potatoes. The beans give the potatoes some hidden protein since I don't eat meat.

        I also cooked up one of their beets for the first time. YUM! I steamed some brussel sprouts and carrots too.

        I tried a couple of their pumpkin chocolate chip cookies for dessert. Holy smokes, it was so moist and yummy! Definitely worth trying!

        I think I'm going to like this whole Box-A-Week deal! :)

        T said...

        Oh yeah, something else I wanted to add. I tried kale for the first time this summer. I made kale chips! I might try that out again with this kale to see how it turns out. :)

        I used the recipe from this video:
        http://tinychoices.com/2010/04/08/make-your-own-junk-food/

        Faith Ann said...

        I've been wondering what to do with the celeriac!! I was thinking of using it in soup... it sounds like a yummy addition to the potatoes.

        I plan to use some kale, potatoes, carrots and corn in a soup this weekend. I'll be cooking beets this weekend for sure too.

        This "box thing" is fantastic!! I love being able to order some extras. I think I will be spending much less time grocery shopping :)

        Faith Ann said...

        I really enjoyed the kale that I roasted in the oven last night too! Trevor thought the taste was a little strong though, so I thought using it in soup might tone it down?

        There was soooo much kale in the box, I expect to have enough to make more chips though. I just used one stalk last night to give it a try.